Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Weekly Update: The Third Sunday of Advent


Sunday, again. I was hoping to write a post this morning, but it's still unbelievably mild and I just had  to go out for a long walk instead. We're flirting with 60 degrees today and they say records may fall tomorrow. Still no measurable snowfall this season... can it really be December? No complaints here!

I've had a productive week. Decorating is nearly done (I'll wait for Twin A to help with the finishing touches), progress has been made with the shopping, and I've even started wrapping. My goal is to finish both shopping and wrapping this week, then concentrate on baking.

On to the reading...

Finished this week//


Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
What a pleasant surprise - I loved this YA memoir in verse! Look for a book brief soon.



Christmas on Jane Street  by Billy Romp
Looking for a short, sweet holiday read? This might be it. The Romp family of Vermont spends one month each year selling Christmas trees on the corner of Jane St. and 8th Avenue in Manhattan, and living in their small camper. The book is about "the transformative power of love - love of parent and child, of merchant and customer, of stranger and neighbor...it is about the lasting and profound difference that one person can make to a family and one family can make to a community." I don't usually read Christmas books, but was drawn to the West Village setting.  3.5/5 stars


Current reading//


Emma by Jane Austen
Reading Jane Austen is always a pleasure! I'm only slightly behind the #Emma200th readalong schedule now. Hope to catch up this week.


Up next//


by Anthony Trollope
Not sure why I've embraced holiday reading this year, but I plan to read this because it's Trollope. Evidently he was not fond of writing Christmas stories for the seasonal publications, so my expectations are not high. I'll happy just holding this gorgeous edition.


Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
My Classics Club Spin book. I was happy to discover it's actually a novella.


On the blog//

#AMonthofFaves: 5 New-to-Me Author Discoveries
#AMonthofFaves: Unique and Memorable Books


The week ahead//

Twin A finishes her final semester of college this week! She'll spend time with us until her job in NYC begins next summer. I'll help her move out of the dorm Tuesday or Wednesday... and that means a few hours of audiobook time both ways since she'll be driving her own car back home.

My book club meets for lunch on Thursday to discuss The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman. I enjoyed the book, but will be curious to see what the others though. Connected stories have been hit or miss with the group.

Daughter #1 comes home Saturday. She'll take the train up from NYC and will be with us for an entire week! Meanwhile, holiday preparations continue...

Are you ready for the holidays? What are you reading this week?


This post will link to It's Monday, What Are You Reading? hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar